Friday, September 3, 2010

Wow...I never thought I'd be saying...

...I love Ecclesiastes!!! I finished Job the day before yesterday and was thinking Ecclesiastes might be next. It was and my first thought was, "oh boy, just gotta get through it".

I've read Ecclesiastes many, many times...it's not a long book. Our Sunday School class even studied it in-depth. I REALLY didn't like it after that! hahahaha

So, sitting down to read I was expecting to have the same reaction. And what I discovered is that now... I GET IT. I totally get what Solomon was saying, the point he was getting across. And I agree whole-heartedly...with everything.

Actually, I found it to be a very real comfort. The changes that I'm seeing in my beloved country are distressing...I could easily stay all worked up about it if I didn't constantly remind myself that God is in control.

But Ecclesiastes puts all of that into perspective. Nothing "down here" really matters... nothing is lasting...only our relationship with God is eternal. The only things I'll "take" to Heaven are my fellow-believers...my family in Christ.

So I thank God for Ecclesiastes and the lessons it teaches me. On a secondary note, I love that learning never ends! Just like my view of Ecclesiastes has done a 180* so has my view on a couple of other things.

This week I had my eyes opened to two different concepts in wildly different areas...gardening and home organization...and it's made a BIG difference! And that makes me very thankful.

Wow...I'll be reading Jeremiah and Ezekiel before too long...wonder if I'll like them any better???

No comments:

Post a Comment