Monday, August 30, 2010

It is a privilege to run long = )

You'll have to click on the picture to enlarge it, if the print is too small to read.

As we enter marathon-training season, my long runs will get a big longer each week leading up to the BIG ONE...26.2 miles!

Right now, it's challenging for me to run longer because I'm not an early morning runner and it's pretty hot by the time I get out. Today I didn't finish until almost noon because of the breaks to switch dogs and drink and stuff. Cooler weather will be here soon!

Anyhow, towards the end of my 8.5 miles, I was definitely reaching the over-heated stage and ready to be done but still so very thankful that God has allowed me to do this.

I consider running a gift from God...not only do I enjoy the actual activity but there are so many other blessings that come with it...better health, weight control, worshipping God while running through His creation, a time set aside for prayer and reflection, the opportunity to share the love of running with others and be an encouragement in their lives...

I wanted to be a runner since my freshman year of high school. I never gave up on the dream even though reality was telling me the dream would never come true. So that just makes me love running all the more! I don't take it for granted, I enjoy it even when it's hard or a run doesn't go well or I'm dealing with an issue or injury.

I thank God for my brother, John, who helped me get started and has been nothing but an encouragement every step of the way! And for Sweety Petey who has been so supportive even though he doesn't "get it"...this love of running = )

I thank God for my running club, Houston Striders, who add a whole nother dimension of fun to my running!

I thank God for my furry running buddies who break up these long runs and make them so much more enjoyable.

I thank God for the time, strength and ability to run and especially to run FAR, which I REALLY enjoy, for some reason = )

I LOVE TO RUN!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment