Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Hi, my name is Pony and I'm a....

YARN SNOB!!!

I mentioned to Shari at tea time yesterday that I wanted to go to Hobby Lobby to get some thinner yarn to make a scarf now that I feel like I'm ready to advance to that. A lady at her church blessed Shari and Shaun (they both crochet!) with a windfall of yarn and Shari was incredibly generous in allowing me to choose some. Firstly, because I don't need to go to Hobby Lobby now and secondly, because the yarn is SUPER high quality!!

I was just telling Shari that I love the feel of quality. That doesn't mean expensive...I'm talking about well-made...an object that's constructed with quality materials and craftmanship. You can find these items at garage sales and thrift stores along with the higher-end stores. And they have a certain feel about them, which I LOVE!

So anyhow...Shaun brings down the container of the thinner yarn and the first skein I touch, I feel it... QUALITY. My eyes are drooling...word!! It also turns into another crochet lesson in planning your project. These are yarns that I can't just run to the store and buy another skein to finish a project. I must plan the project to be of a size and style that allows me to finish with the yarn available. She encouraged me to find a coordinating yarn to go with the color I'd chosen so that I would have at least 2 skeins for the project.

Look at this little lamby....SOOOOOO cute = ))

While taking these pics, I realized that the plain blue yarn in the first pic actually matches both of the blue variegated yarns so I'll be returning this light turquoise yarn to Shari today.


It was love at first sight with the purple/lavender/tanzanite yarn...and then I touched it...what's more than love? Infatuation? no...passion? Well...whatever is beyond just "love" = )
I pulled the info tag out...$27 for that skein! I said to Shari, "it figures that I would choose the most expensive skein in the whole bunch!!" hahaha I don't know for sure that it was the most expensive one but to me, it's surely the nicest!

But there's only one skein and I just couldn't bring myself to put any other color yarn with it...I love it in it's pure, beautiful form. For the rest of the day I kept trying to figure out what kind of scarf I could make with this just one skein. I didn't want to start on a narrow scarf and end up with plenty of yarn to have made it wider... but I couldn't make it wider and then run out and have it be wonky. I can't do wonky with this yarn...it's too wonderful to deserve that!

So last night in reading the blogs I follow, I found this wonderful idea from Bee Haven Maven! Here is her blog...

http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com

I can make what she calls a "neck warmer" scarf!

It will be perfect and useful and PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment