Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Enjoying myself!


What is Sinus Arrhythmia?

What is sinus arrhythmia? I was asking my doctor about how my pulse changes during my breathing exercises, and he said it has to do with sinus arrhythmia, which sounds to me like a disease. Is it normal or not?
Sinus arrhythmia is a common condition. There are different types--some of which are a disease. Respiratory sinus arrhythmia is a common type--an this is a normal process. This is not a disease, although not everyone has it. It is a normal variant. Respiratory sinus arrhythmia is the natural variation of heart rate with breathing. The word sinus means that the heart rhythm is coming from the sinus node--which is the starting point of the heart. This sinus node is the heart's "pacemaker." The word arrhythmia means that the heart rate is irregular--not a constant rate. Respiratory sinus arrhythmia normally occurs when heart rate slows during inspiration and speeds up in exhalation. This occurs because the heart rate is controlled by the brain. The brain varies its control of heart rate during the breathing cycle and uses the vagus nerve to change the heart rate. This can happen in everyone, but in most people you cannot detect this because it is so small. In some people it is more exaggerated for an unknown reason. In general, people who have good cardiovascular endurance--like marathon runners, are more likely to have this. So this may mean you are in good shape! Talk with your doctor if you have more problems.

So...maybe this is a sign that I have "good cardiovascular endurance"?? hahaha  I had my very first EKG and it showed I had this. I know my heart beats funny...I was hoping it would do it while the machine was running...I've always wanted to know what happens when it beats funny. Nope, but it showed I have "sinus arrhythmia"...yeah, me and millions of other people...so who cares?!

I went to the doctor yesterday...just to establish patient care. Of course, I have several on-going conditions that doctors are interested in...oh, I suppose some would say they want to keep on top of them for my sake. Why do I have such a hard time believing doctors??? That they really care and are really interested in treating you for your own sake, to help you live a better, healthier, happier life?!

I had lab work done this morning...5 vials of blood...Petey gave 6 vials at his doctor's appointment. Grrrr...I wanted to beat him! hahahahhaahaha  I'll have a bone density test on Thursday and then see the doctor again in 2 weeks to discuss the results. 

I'm most interested in the bone scan as I already have osteoporosis and I want to make sure that I'm not losing too much bone mass too quickly. I'm not sure what to do about the condition if I am. I've heard Fosamax is NOT the way to go and I'm already doing everything I possibly can to maintain healthy bones outside of a prescription medicine. 

But if my risk of breaking a hip has gotten much worse, I may be forced to take some decisive action. Guess I'll find out in a few days. Hopefully the technician will tell me my numbers right then without making me wait to hear the results from the doctor.

I'm LOVING these quiet days! Plenty of time to get my chores done with plenty of time left over for reading, piano playing, critter playing, sitting and looking out the window, crocheting, letter-writing...it's AWESOME!!!

Now, if I can just get my "playroom" organized, I can add crafting to this list too! I'm fixin to go work in there now  = )


3 comments:

  1. And playing with Legos!!!! And puzzle working!! I'm actually starting to LOVE living here!!!!! Wow, that didn't take long...count your blessings, folks, God is SO good, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pony! I still have your blog in my feed reader and it's been popping up a lot lately. Glad you are enjoying FL. I also have sinus arrhythmia -- I used to have EKGs every year as part of a job-related physical and it always turned up!

    ReplyDelete