Saturday, May 10, 2014

Another Cretia???


Week #100 - 111.8

Since my new Weight Watchers meeting is at an actual WW store, they have a computerized system. This morning a big ol' "below healthy BMI" warning popped up on the screen when the lady was recording my weight. 

I wasn't able to eat breakfast before I went and I wore my normal clothes without thinking about it. I weighed the same on my scale but didn't think twice about them possibly giving me a hard time. 

My WW leader in Houston and the ladies checking me in had gotten used to these numbers and knew I was healthy regardless of any number so I stopped trying to artificially inflate my weight for weigh-in.

I like what I weigh now...I like how I feel...I like how I'm eating. Actually, I LOVE how I'm eating!! I don't want to change that just to hit some arbitrary number of someone else's design as to whether I'm healthy or not. 

So now I just need to remember to wear my overalls and eat a big breakfast and keep my phone and keys handy in case I need to add "weight"  = )  I'll report the real number here so I have a record of it.

I do have some frustration over the whole "healthy weight" concept anyhow. I know I've talked about it before. I just read an article on Serena Williams. Amazing athlete...with a majorly atypical body type for her level of success in the tennis world! 

She's taken lots of gruff for being too heavy, too fat, too big, over her "healthy BMI" number. And it bothered her for awhile and she went on a diet to lose weight...just to change her looks or numbers to make someone else happy.

Then she said, "forget it! I know my body, I know when I'm at optimum health, I know when I feel strong. I know when I'm feeding my body correctly and when I'm not and that's not tied to any kind of number."

So I say the same thing! But I don't want to constantly be getting lectured at WW weigh-in so I'll artificially inflate my weight to make the computer happy. Anything below 113 is the danger number now.

And I still REALLY want to go to the WW meetings! I was thinking on the way there how effortless maintaining my weight has been for the past several months. Well, since the end of December when I started following Simply Filling. 

I know I've had the stress of the move and haven't been living my "normal" life for awhile so I don't want to get too cocky or over-confident about the ease of maintaining my current weight. Time will tell after I get totally settled in here whether I will start struggling again.

So...it was love at first sight with this lady this morning...hahahahaha  In a room full of Golden Girls, this one just exuded the "typical Florida older Jewish lady with a New York accent retired and living a life of leisure in the Miami area" vibe  = )



I just HAD to introduce myself and tell her how CUTE she is!! Her name is Rae, she's 95 years old, she's a spunky spitfire who lost 40 pounds 6 years ago and never misses a Saturday morning meeting!

I asked her if I could take her picture and she said "shu-oar" (say that in your head with a heavy NY accent). I told her I wanted to introduce her to the people who read my blog and she said "isn't that nice?!" hahahahahaha

I love the round glasses for some reason! And I love her attitude and zest for life and even though she asked me my name 3 times in 10 minutes, I'd love to get to know her better  = ))

And she made me miss Cretia BIG TIME  = (   Some of you will remember my AWESOME friend, Cretia...Carol Crabtree's mother-in-law. She also is in her 90's (97 I believe!) and has a spunky spirit and a zest for life. 

I think the thing I love and miss most about Cretia is that she always wanted to learn new things...me too! We had SOOOOOOOOOO much fun investigating and researching about anything and everything...anything that popped into our heads that we'd like to know more about.

She would tell me what she knew already, what she'd experienced in life, which was ALOT, and then I would read up on the subject, write down what I'd learned, write down questions to ask her and then we'd share what we'd learned at our next weekly lunch date.

A new subject would usually come out of the old one and we just went our merry way along from idea to idea, history to history, indulging our love of knowing stuff...maybe not even useful stuff but just the knowing and discussing was a BLAST!

I've never had another friend like her...I doubt I ever will...but Rae looks promising = ) 

Petey's off on another flight but should be home about 2am. This week has gone by much faster and now I get to go to church again! We haven't decided which church to go to tomorrow...we have 3 to choose from...the one Baptist church we visited already and then another Baptist church about 5 miles away and a Calvary Chapel that is 3/10ths of a mile away. 

I would LOVE to be able to walk to church! Memories of my gramma in Kentucky...

We're asking God to give us direction on where HE wants us to learn, worship, serve and fellowship. 

Guess I'd better go do some kind of work now. I sure have enjoyed unpacking my craft room! Touching all those neat things, thinking and dreaming of the possibilities for future fun. I also need to unload the dishwasher and I could stand to vacuum...so maybe real work before pleasure work?

= ))



1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm commenting on my own post.

    I realize that I'm a hypocrite when I say I don't want my health to be "tied to a number". There are LOTS of numbers that I believe are important to my own healthy weight.

    I don't want to be pushing 170 lbs like I was 11 years ago! 170 is a BAAAAAAAD number to me when associated with my weight.

    I like 108 lbs with 20% body fat. I would NOT like 108 lbs with 30% body fat! I would probably be ok with 120 lbs and 15% body fat = )

    I don't put much stock in the BMI numbers because their frame-range is not wide enough. There are tons of Olympic and professional athletes whose BMI is "out of range"...over for the big, high-muscle folks...under for the tiny gymnasts and ice skaters and especially the marathon runners!

    So, yes, numbers matter to me. But no, BMI numbers don't matter to me.

    Ok, glad I got that off my chest!

    ReplyDelete