Sunday, April 27, 2014

Let's move 2 adults and 11 animals 1200 miles to Florida...Part 2

So...back on the road around 4am. We stopped at another rest area about 7:30am, potty-break, fed the dogs breakfast, then switched vehicles to sleep some more. This time Petey took the bench seat in the truck with the dogs and I got the memory foam "bed" in the Explorer with the cats.

It was comforting being with the cats...I dozed with my fingers between the bars of the cage and they would rub their heads on my fingers. I couldn't really get into a deeper sleep because lots of cars and trucks were coming and going and people were talking = (

I started thinking about how much of the trip was still ahead and all the work to do unloading the truck and all the changes that were still to come...all that I'd left behind and all the strange that was in my future. Ugh...I wish my brain had a flip on - flip off switch! 

Petey was able to sleep a couple of hours. I didn't feel well for the rest of the day...over-tired, over-worked, over-wrought, not enough food. I ate what I could...what I thought I could keep down. 

We got moving again about 11am and stopped at 2pm at another rest area. Petey slept in the Explorer and I spread a quilt under a nice shade tree and rested with the dogs after taking them for a walk. I didn't sleep any but stretching out and resting felt good.

Petey slept well...the cats were quiet, along with the whole rest area, so that was really nice. We'd planned on staying overnight at a hotel for the night but as we were only averaging about 40 mph, we realized we wouldn't have enough time to spend the night and make it to the closingo on time...we would have to drive through at least part of the night  = (

We got on the road again about 4pm...stopped for gas at 7 and also potty break and the dogs' supper. Then we had a long stretch of driving til about 11pm when we stopped to sleep again. This time with me in the cab and Petey in the Explorer since that's where we each slept the best.

I did manage to sleep for a couple of hours this time. I think the dogs knew what to expect and they settled down very quickly into their chosen spots. We were feeling the time crunch a little bit so we started driving again around 2am. 

At this point I felt like I had no strength to go on. I was tired sick, hungry sick, anxious sick...completely empty. 

The morning that we left Houston I'd read an email devotional that talked about a person walking along a road. They were feeling great and walking strong. If someone had come up to them and offered help...offered a shoulder to lean on or some kind of support, the person would have turned them down immediately. It wasn't needed!

But let that person be foot-sore and road-weary, barely able to stay upright, and let someone come alongside and offer help and support and it would be accepted immediately and completely.

This is what God does for us! When we're going through life in our own strength, we feel like we don't need Him or at least need His help. But when He places us in a position to where our strength is drained away by circumstances or illness, how quickly we turn to Him for strength to continue on. 

And how graciously and generously He gives that strength...HIS strength. 

About 4:30am, I knew that I needed to at least TRY to sleep or rest or something and I wanted to be able to stretch out...my legs and back...well, all over, really...was SO achy and sore...so we stopped at one of the nice service plazas that are on the Florida Turnpike and Petey got some Dunkin Donuts coffee and I went back to the Explorer.

It was so quiet compared to the cab of the truck...so weird to be moving down the road but with no engine running. We didn't know if me being in the car on the tow dolly was against the law so it might've been a sin of omission but not comission...

I ended up not being able to sleep anyhow...I just dry-heaved my way across South Florida = (((  At least I was alone and not disturbing Petey and I felt better knowing that there was more room in the cab for the dogs and I was also giving the kitties some company.

We made it to the place where the closing was going to be about 7:30 and THEN I was able to sleep for some reason! I slept solidly for about 2 hours and woke up feeling quite good, in spite of being very weak.

I felt ok in the closing office but started going downhill towards the end. I was just praising God the whole time that HE was providing the strength I needed to take each next step because I certainly had NONE of my own. 

I was able to eat some pretzels on the way to our new home...and then we were here!

To be continued...  = )

But let me say this...a HUGE MEGA THANKS to each and every prayer that was said on our behalf for safety and for my babies' safety. So many prayed for us... I kept thinking about all the people who had promised to pray and it brought me a measure of peace and comfort. 

What a privilege it is to pray for each other! What an amazing God we have, who hears and cares and has the power to help us through life!


No comments:

Post a Comment