Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hangin' in there...

I have a nice, strong wi-fi signal this morning so I thought I'd give you an update. I think about my goal to blog every day every day = )  But that's the thing about goals...only God knows what's going to happen in the future so my goals are just that...goals, not sure things!

I'm still in Miami...Petey is out flying right now...he left yesterday afternoon and we're not sure when he's coming back...maybe this afternoon...maybe not! hahaha

Our house hunt got quite discouraging there for a few days. Most houses were ok in some ways and not ok in some ways. A few were immediate, definite NO's. Some were definite YES's until we saw the inside or learned that the price was firm.

I even made a "Settle Chart" to help us. We knew we were going to have to settle in some way...just needed to figure out how we wanted to settle. Not as in "settle down" but as in "settle for less".

We'd been praying all along that God would lead us step by step and He's answered those prayers completely! I still get ahead of Him and then the anxiety sets in. I have no business trying to answer questions about the future when I'm not the one who knows and holds the future!

So what we've settled on is to buy a lot in a decent mobile home community...not the nicest we've seen (those lots go for $65,000-100,000 just for the land!!) and have our own mobile home built to put on it. 

I went through the long process of choosing colors and finishes yesterday...it's exciting, for sure, but also scary because you're buying something "sight unseen" and I can only visualize how big the rooms will be and what things will look like, not actually be in the room and see for myself.

The "settling" part of going this route is that we won't be able to move in for another 2 months or more while the house is being built. But the price is good and the location in general is excellent...the size of the house is fine...around 1500 square feet with a 200+ square foot covered porch which we'll screen in after awhile...small but adequate yard for the dogs but SUPER access to loads of hiking and biking trails that go for miles!

And we've even found our home church already! I don't like to drive a long way to go to church so I looked for a Bible church in close proximity to where we'll be living. We visited there on Sunday morning and were SO blown away by the church! It's Grace Bible Church of Plantation. Several of the men are familiar with our current pastor...the Bible teaching was great...the worship service was just what our souls needed after a week spent "in the desert".

So...enough about that. On Thursday we looked at two houses in the morning that were big disappointments and then spent the rest of the day driving to Key West and back. It's been a dream of mine to go there since before Petey and I got married...almost 28 years ago! As I said on Facebook..."the best thing about Key West is the drive getting there".

There were crowds of people so we didn't walk around the town. We stopped on the north side of the island at McDonald's and had ice cream cones. It was so funny to sit there looking out at the beautiful ocean and palm trees and hear the steel drum music being played on the sound system and realize that we were in a McDONALD'S!!!

We did stop at a beach on Marathon Key on the way back...waded in the ocean and sat on the beach for awhile but we didn't stay long. The sun has really been bothering me here. I think it's because it's so much stronger than I'm used to. I've gotten a "sun migraine" almost every day that we've been here.

I bought a straw hat at Wal-mart and that helped so I bought a nicer sun-block hat at Columbia on Sunday and have been disciplined to wear that even though I look "touristy". I don't know whether I will adjust to the stronger sunlight from being this far south or I might just have to make 3p-7p everyday to be my "inside time" = )

Well, I have some phone calls to make so I guess I'll close this up for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment