Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hi Shari!!

One of the fun things about blogging is when you KNOW someone reads your blog...that they're interested enough in you, as a person, to care what you're thinking or doing. The World's Greatest Neighbor, Shari, reads this blog. And Amy too...Hi Amy!

Today I started reading The Eat Clean Diet Recharged. I can tell you already that it's a better book than the first one, pictured above. The information is more clearly presented and expanded and it's a bigger book overall. I'm only on Chapter 3 but I can definitely tell that this Eat Clean book is better than the first one.

She has LOTS of books...I have 4 of them. After looking on Amazon, I only saw one other book that I might be interested in...can't remember the name of it but I'll let ya know = )

Another subject I'd like to post on is what I eat every day and recipes to go along. I may not include every day's menu but when I'm in the mood for it, I will. I'm in the mood for it....

Breakfast: pumpkin shake...organic canned pumpkin, kefir, greek yogurt, wheat germ, some pineapple juice from canned pineapple (in 100% juice), a bit of agave, loads of cinnamon, some cloves. Very pumpkinny, very yummy!

Lunch: mushrooms marinated in Bolthouse yogurt dressing, Caesar Parmigiano flavor, with Penzey's garlic salt; leftover chicken spaghetti from last night; about 1/2 cup of the canned pineapple and fresh blueberries in a bit of cream. Oh yeah...and a whole wheat scone broken into pieces and eaten mixed in with the cream and blueberries.

Supper: homemade chili sprinkled with a bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 slice honey oat bread, the other 1/2 slice with a smear of jelly.

Here's the recipe for the chili...I got it from our Weight Watchers group and it's a KEEPER!!!

1 and 1/2 pound ground turkey (95% lean, cooked) ((I used organic chicken sausage))

1 can rinsed black beans

1 can pinto beans (not drained)

1 can kidney beans (not drained)

2 cans 14.5 oz diced tomatoes

2 cans 8 oz tomato sauce

1 tsp or more minced garlic

chili seasoning to taste


I also added a can of navy beans cause I like them and I added chipotle chili seasoning. You can season it however you want.

You just dump everything in and heat it up. It's great right away and even better the 2nd and 3rd days after all the flavors meld = )

And it's especially yummy with Honey Oat Bread! This lady's blog is great for recipes but you'll have to "health them up" on your own. I substituted all whole wheat flour, used egg white instead of a whole egg (although I wouldn't mind using a whole egg, just didn't have them in the house) and used olive oil. I didn't have any buttermilk so I made my own with milk, greek yogurt and a tbls of white vinegar. I didn't make the honey butter...real butter is good though!


 

HONEY OAT BREAD

Honey Oat Bread - CopyThis is an easy quick bread that is so good straight from the oven spread with honey butter.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil (I used Canola)
In a large bowl using a whisk mix together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, salt, and baking powder. In a smaller bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil and honey. Combine the two bowls and mix well with spoon. Turn out onto a wheat floured board and knead, adding flour until you have a dough. Spray a 9 x 4 bread pan with cooking spray and add dough. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 – 45 minutes. Remove from pan and slice and enjoy with honey butter spread. Makes one loaf.
Honey Butter Spread
1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup
1/3 cup honey
Remove paper from margarine and put in large microwave bowl. Microwave about 12 seconds to soften the butter. Add the honey and beat with electric mixer about a minute until smooth. Enjoy on this bread, biscuits, waffles, and pancakes. Store in refrigerator. Keeps well.

 

I'd also like to share my workouts from time to time...or whenever I feel like it...or whenever I remember! Today's workout was a Leslie Sansone DVD...I love her Walk by Faith series!! Petey and I did the 2 mile workout and then the 1 mile workout...averaged about a 15 minute pace for the 3 miles. Worked up a good sweat too!

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipes! I really like chili so I may try it one day. And it looks easier to make than the one I make which requires so many ingredients and lots of chopping and slicing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pony!
    I'm so glad you're back to blogging! I enjoy reading 'how' you write.
    And, by the way, you look mahvalous!
    Love you, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what is the premise of "eat clean"? I.e. what does eating "clean" mean?

    ReplyDelete