Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You Say To-mah-to, I Say To-may-to...

Here's what I've been thinking about lately...


A friend requested prayer in her struggle to maintain a healthy weight. She knew I would understand and support her!


In addition to praying for her, along with praying for myself, I rattled off a list of things she could start doing.


After looking over the list awhile later, I realized that I'd given her the list of things that work for ME...not necessarily the things that will work for her. How presumptive of me  = (


That got me to thinking about all the little bits and pieces of advice I've read and/or received over the almost two decades that I've been battling the war on over-eating/over-weight.


There are things I know that DON'T work for me...things I know I MUST do to maintain a healthy weight...things that I tried but didn't like...things that worked but are not sustainable over the long-term...things I consider unhealthy that I wouldn't even try...things that work for others that I WISH worked for me.


Some of these things were the opposites of each other. For instance, weighing every day for me is a MUST. I cannot rely on "how do my clothes fit?"  I need that daily check-in and accountability. I understand and accept that my daily weight will fluctuate but it doesn't take too many days in a row of gains to realize that I'm off track somewhere.


On the opposite end of the line are the people who MUST NOT weigh every day! Once a week, once a month, once a year or never is what works for them. And you can observe this with every aspect of diet/nutrition/weight-loss/weight-maintaining.


So, Friend, I apologize for giving you MY list without even asking you what you've discovered works and doesn't work for you. It comes from a great desire to help and support you...offered with good intentions but not the best understanding.


Review your list of things that you know work for you and get back to doing those... I know you are strong and determined and will be successful because you are getting back on track!


The only time you will fail in the struggle to maintain a healthy weight is the day you GIVE UP. As long as we are trying, working, learning, growing, and even struggling, we're succeeding!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment