Friday, April 27, 2012

Practice What You Preach

So...I was out running with Piper and Dingo this morning. Run/walking to be exact...which is perfect because it allows me to run with my dogs (which I LOVE) and allows them to be running with me (which I think they really like alot) and none of us get over-heated or over-tired!


Not to forget Buddy, he gets special mama-time after I get back with the younger boys. He and I walk several laps around our dead-end street...each lap is 1/4th mile. We did 3 laps today and he really seemed to enjoy himself...nice to see that familiar prancing step again after several days of dragging behind and maybe limping...


Anyhow, one of the great things about running is that my mind is free to do all sorts of neat things. Mainly, praising God for His glorious creation and sharing what's on my heart. But also: day-planning, problem-solving, day-dreaming and the like.


Of course, thoughts of my current Weight Watchers adventure are high up on the list of what sifts through my mind while running. 


Remember that voice I told you about yesterday? The negative one that we're not supposed to listen to??? I heard it today while I was running. The positive one chimed in a little but the negative one was certainly dominating the conversation. Here is what they said...


Positive - "you've lost 8 pounds! that's GREAT!! you're halfway there! we see a difference in your running already!"


Negative - "sure, you've always been good at LOSING weight, but you stink at keeping it off... you'll probably fail this time too"


I felt that sinking feeling in my stomach. Negative voice was telling the truth and I knew it.


Positive - "no, maybe she can do it this time...she's making some changes in her thinking and planning...I think she can do it...maybe...well, I hope she can do it...but..."


Negative - "remember when you weighed 98 pounds for a year and a half and you thought you had the weight thing conquered and you'd never be fat again...yeah, RIGHT! You'll do good for awhile this time too but come fall and winter, you'll be hungry all the time and you KNOW you don't have the will-power to continue eating this way".


Then I realized what was happening...the exact thing that Kim (WW leader) taught us about yesterday! So I shut that negative voice up and me and Positive joined forces and started listing specific things that I can do to have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight, long-term.


I've got to practice what I preach...especially to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment