Thursday, April 12, 2012

Weight-training and 2nd Weight Watchers meeting

Deanna suggested yesterday that I add weight/strength training to my workout regime, knowing that I get plenty of cardio in my twice a day running & walking workouts = )

Junebug also reminded me that "Strong is the new skinny!". I have the utmost respect for these two ladies and while I'd already planned on adding some weight-training, their encouragement and good example will surely inspire me to do more.

More than likely I will be sharing some memory that I have from my previous experience of losing weight and maintaining (for awhile) following Weight Watchers until I fell off the wagon...got back on...fell even further off...got back on again...well, you get the picture. See yesterday's post if you don't...

So when Deanna suggested adding weight-training, I immediately remembered what a difference that made when I lost weight 8 years ago.

Actually, I had lost most of the weight already...I was holding steady at about 102 pounds, maybe losing just a few ounces a week, when I got The Campitelli Advanced Speed Exercise Method for Women...a VCR tape (that's how old it is!) at a thrift store.

It was AWESOME!! Hand weights and a bench, a tv and 10 minutes. 5 routines concentrating on the different areas of the body. Simple, easy, fast and definitely producing results!

I started doing 10 minutes most mornings, in addition to my runs. Wow, I worked up just as much of a sweat as I did running and my heart was pumping and my lungs were sucking in the oxygen just like I was running so I knew I was getting a similar workout.

You don't take breaks during the sets...bam, bam, bam, git 'er done!

I wasn't noticing any difference, either in the mirror or on the scale. (I wasn't doing it to change anything, I just knew that a bit of strength training was good for you). Then people started commenting "how much more weight have you lost?", "you're getting so skinny!"

I told them I had not lost any more weight, honestly! Then it dawned on me...I'd lost FAT and gained muscle so that's why the scale hadn't changed but people could see a difference. I took a good long look in the mirror and I, too, could see more muscle definition...I looked really good! (If I do say so myself...hahaha)

That's when I knew the 10 minute workout was working = ) So why did I stop doing it??? Good question...it's probably one of those disconnect things. And I'd MUCH rather be outside running. Maybe I figured I had good muscle, I didn't need any more...I have no real idea.

But yesterday after Deanna's and Junebug's comments, I remembered... "oh yeah, I used to do 10 minutes a day with that VCR tape..." So I'd like to get back into that...maybe not 5 days a week but I could start with 1 day and try to work up to at least 3 days.

I bought The 10-Minute Time Crunch Training DVD the day I OFFICIALLY signed up with Weight Watchers = ) It came with a resistance cord and has 5 workouts covering Upper Body, Lower Body, Total Body, Core and Interval Training along with a cardio warm-up and stretching cool-down.

I did the Upper Body workout one day when it was raining and I didn't run outside. Here's an honest, but humiliating, thought I'm going to share with you: I figured it would be very heavy women (alot heavier than me) doing easy moves and I would be much stronger and MUCH better in shape and it would be fun and easy for me. (Easy is the main factor for me in whether something is fun or not!) And it would make me feel good about myself because I would be better than the ladies on the tape...I know, God is still working on humility with me = ((

Well, I was soundly put in my place! They have 3 ladies doing the exercises...the main lady does the middle-difficulty moves, one lady does beginner, and one lady is advanced; you follow whichever lady is at your level.

Yeah...I struggle to do all the exercises the beginner lady does...and all 3 are much more skinny and fit than me...(insert Gomer Pyle voice) "surprise, surprise, surprise!"

But once again, the sweat POURED off of me so I knew my body was working hard. This morning I did 2 routines...the upper body again and core. It's no fun to get an in-your-face revelation of just how weak and/or out of shape you're in = (

The burning was so uncomfortable that I had to not complete some of the moves. And as I sit here, I can already feel that I will have some soreness tomorrow. Good, yes, but also just one more reminder of how fit I used to be and exactly what I did to myself to not be in that shape anymore.

But I can get there again! And I WILL keep plugging away at it! I'm so thankful for buds like Junebug and Deanna who give me a real-life picture of what I can aim for...thanks, girls!

And now on to the WW meeting...which I was also SOOOOO wrong about... I thought it would be cheesy and I didn't "need" that and I am so far beyond needing that kind of thing. Yeah, another lesson in humility... I'll keep plugging away at that too!

Funny enough, we talked about fitting in a workout when plans change at the last minute, for whatever reason. First off, I REALLY like this leader and the group of women that were there today!! The first meeting I went to was last Thursday evening because I already had a commitment during the day. I didn't really care for that leader and there were a couple men in the group and that felt "funny".

Anyhow, today was really cool just because of the leader and other attenders. Then the subject was interesting because of me not having enough time to run this morning so I did the 10-minute time crunch thing. Well, I actually did 2 of them plus the warm up and cool down so I was really at it for 30 minutes...plenty of time to run, now that I think about it. Maybe I decided to give my legs a rest since they've been aching. I think it might've been the shoes I was wearing to run...I think they're past their prime.

I got lots of great information...some of the ladies REALLY like their Wii Fit and that reminded me of that option too. We have one and have played around with it some...talk about FUN...it's WAY COOL BEANS!! I need to get it out and give it a try again...explore some more and see what all it offers.

I'm also happy to report that I lost 2.2 pounds this week so that makes 4.2 total. Just a little more and I'll be into the 120's again. Another strange idea that I'm not sure where it came from...anything out of the 120's seems "fat" to me. Not for other people, just for myself.

I know, I know...it's not about a number on the scale. Well, it SHOULDN'T be about a number...of the scale or tags in clothes...but I admit, it still is for me. And it still is about how I look in the mirror too. Not sure how to change my thought process or if I need to.

I know the goal should be to be healthy. But I also know that at certain weights, I'm definitely not healthy. So in some part, it IS about a number.

That's all for today...time to take my dogs for a sunset walk over to the park...my favorite time of day!